Deadline for Applications for the 2018-2019 WISE Mentor Position has been extended!
Mentor Applications Due on Friday, January 19th @ 3:00 PM
- Application – fill out Google Form Application
- Mentor Reference Form – Email your mentor the link to the form.
- Resume – submit via email
- Reference Form (should be from a professor, TA, RD, high school counselor, high school teacher, employer, etc)
- please no reference forms from family or friends
WISE Resident Mentor Qualifications
- Interest in engaging with and helping others!
- Minimum Cumulative GPA of 2.7 at time of application
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.7 at end of spring semester
- Major in engineering or science field (includes Colleges of Engineering, Agriculture & Life Sciences, College of Sciences, Natural Resources,Textiles, and the LSFY Program)
- Will have completed a minimum of 29 credits by Fall 2018
- Complete all WISE requirements in the Fall and Spring semesters!
- Experience living in a residence hall setting
- Willing to live in Lee Hall on the 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th floors
- Good judicial standing with Housing & Student Conduct
- Capable of working independently and in groups
- Organizational, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills
- Awareness of campus resources and services
- Participate in Housing selection process – Dr. Ashton will move Mentor Suites
- Able to participate in Mentor Training & WISE Bridge/Wolfpack Welcome Week
- Commit to working a minimum of 7-10 hours per week
- (the weeks of training/move-in/Bridge/Wolfpack Welcome Week will be longer)
- Assist with Opening, Summer Bridge Program, & Wolfpack Welcome Week Activities
- Serve as a role model for the WISE & University Communities
- Relationship building: one one one and as a Mentee/WISE Community
- Regular interaction & engagement with Mentees
- Suite/Room Visits, Meals, Coffee Breaks, Study Nights, etc.
- One on Ones with Mentees – Twice a semester
- Help students become familiar with university resources
- Advise and refer residents to appropriate university resources as the need arises
- Work with RAs and other staff to build community in the WISE Village
- Provide social programming for Mentees
- Help set-up/clean-up the WISE Speakers Series and other events as needed
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Administrative & Other Duties as Assigned
- Yearly compensation package totaling $1500-1700 (Mentors will be responsible for all room charges)
- BoardBucks/All Campus Money totaling $150 per semester
- Guaranteed room assignment in Lee Hall (choose your own roommate)
- Enhanced academic focus
- Learn valuable leadership, time management, communication and teamwork skills
- Experience the satisfaction of helping others
- Applications available Monday, November 27 @ 10:00 AM
- Final application due Monday, January 19 @ 3:00 PM
- Invitation for Interviews will go out mid January
- Interviews will begin mid to late January
- Participate in Housing Selection Process – Dr. Ashton will move mentors into Mentor Suites
- Offer letters will go out late February
In addition to submitting your on-line application, please ask your reference to fill out the Recommendation Form.
- Your recommendation form should be filled out by a professor, advisor, former high school teacher or guidance counselor, employer or resident advisor who can comment on your leadership potential, your ability to serve as a positive role model (academically and socially) for other students, and your desire to help other students succeed.
- You are required to get a reference form filled out by your current mentor. Email your mentor the link to the form.
For more information, please contact the WISE Associate Director.